WHAT TO EXPECT FROM YOUR FIRST VISIT WITH A HOLISTIC ACUPUNCTURIST
Before your first Visit
- Please be sure to wear comfortable, loose clothing.
- Eat a light meal about 1-2 hours before your treatment. It is not a good idea to get needled on a completely empty or full stomach.
- Drink plenty of water.
- For new patients, your appointment will last about 1.5 hours. Subsequent visits will be about 1 hour long.
- On your initial visit, please arrive 10-15 minutes before your appointment time to fill out initial patient paperwork. If you prefer to fill out the paperwork beforehand, please scroll below to print and fill out the forms before your appointment.
- You will then step into the healing treatment room and I will do thorough intake of your whole body system. This is holistic medicine, after all! You will be asked questions regarding your physical body as well as your emotional being.
- You will then lie on the treatment table. Part of the intake will be for me to feel your pulses and take a look at your tongue. This is done to get a baseline understanding of your system. I will check in with your pulses multiple times during the course of your session to confirm that they are shifting to a point of balance.
- I will create a specialized treatment plan which may involve needles, moxa, guasha, cupping and/or massage.
- The needles may be inserted quickly and then removed, or inserted and left in for up to 30-40 minutes.
- Many patients report feeling very relaxed when the needles are inserted. There are some that use this time to meditate.
- When the needles are done "cooking", I will remove them and discuss the followup plan. This may include diet/nutritional suggestions, herbal prescriptions that are designed specifically with you in mind and lifestyle advice/homework.
After the Visit
- Plan to take it easy for the rest of the day.
- Make sure you drink lots of water or coconut water.
- Very rarely, symptoms may become worse for a while following an acupuncture treatment. This is often a sign that dormant symptoms have been awakened in the process of being cleared. This should pass quickly. However, if you have any questions or concerns at any time, please call me or email me.