I am Kathleen Lee - Five Element Acupunturist. Since 2011, I have helped hundreds of folks just like you redefine their relationship to health. This isn't done with some magic bullet or formulaic program. My work empowers patients to tap into the innate ability of the body and soul to heal from within. My goal is to facilitate lasting sustainable changes so that YOU can write the story of your life and your health.
Let's Work Together...
DO YOU WANT TO FEEL EMPOWERED IN YOUR WELLNESS?
- You have had some success in your life but are now at a major crossroads (i.e. separation, career change, major move, etc.) because you are no longer feeling fulfilled. You want to evolve and feel empowered in the choices you are making. You are ready for a change.
- You need support working through belief systems that no longer serve you. But you are afraid of leaving the security of what you know, not appearing perfect or choosing the wrong path.
- You dream of living a life that is more meaningful, connected and reflective of the person you are today. You are ready to nurture your new identity because you know it will deepen your current relationships and attract the connections that you are craving.
- You may be dreaming of starting a family and are finding obstacles along the way. They may be physical (PCOS, endometriosis, cysts, fibroids, etc.) or they may be emotional (difficulty finding flow, grief, fear).
- You wish to resolve some foundational issues (i.e. self esteem, body dysmorphia, perfectionism) from your own life so you don't pass the karma along to your child.
- You are told you have "unexplained fertility" by your reproductive endocrinologist and have nowhere else to turn. You are willing to put in the work to bring reach your peak fertility potential but just have no idea where to start.
- You find yourself lost in conventional medical care where you are told "everything is fine" or "there is nothing to do" when you still experience signs and symptoms that concern you.
- You are aching to find integrative care that addresses your whole being including mind, body and spirit
- You are looking for a health practitioner who doesn't believe in a "quick fix" using the next new fad superdrug/diet/therapy. You believe that signs and symptoms are your body trying to alert you to an imbalance and you need help translating those messages to bring yourself to optimal health.
- You strive to be someone who feels empowered in your own health and wellness but are unsure of where to begin.
Let's Transform Together...
KAT'S UPCOMING WORKSHOPS AND RETREATS
We will be diving deep into each of the Five Elements to discover how they manifest in the human spirit and identify their gifts and challenges to unravel your blocks and support your growth. This weekend will comprise of lectures, spiritual coaching integration, group work and yoga to create an environment in which mind, body and spirit all align.
Let's Stay Curious...
FOLLOW KAT'S BLOG
I work with a tool called the Belief Triangle to break down what motivates our actions (See image above). Let’s take a moment to deconstruct the actions that form our everyday worlds. Our actions are shaped by our thoughts which are driven by our emotions. Our emotions are born from our belief system. So therefore, in order to create change in actions that are as hard-wired as addiction, we must first adopt a new belief system. By shifting our mindset at the base level of the belief system, the changes that are made to everything above the foundation are also being influenced.
I feel the most in balance and at home when I am surrounded by Nature. There is no greater medicine than laying back in the earth with the trees above me, my dog next to me, the ground below me and a stream running beside me. This deep gratitude and connection that I have to Nature inspires my clinical work as a Five Elements Acupuncturist.
Read on to learn more about this branch of Chinese Medicine and to take an interactive quiz to discover your own Element.
Have you ever sat around with a group of other women and compared notes on your periods? Someone might say they get the craziest cravings while on their period. Another says that they can’t believe how much blood she can lose without passing out. The woman sitting next to you may say that she misses out on an entire day and a half because she can’t even muster the energy to get out of bed. The worst is when men dismiss our emotions because it’s that time of the month again. No, scratch that. The worst is when we dismiss our own emotions because “I’m just being hormonal again”.
Have you ever hit a wall and realized that giving without receiving is unsustainable? Do you know what it feels like to have your needs neglected over the needs of other people by the most important person in your life….yourself?
How many of these statements do you identify with?
“Why is it so easy for everyone else to have babies except for me?”
“It’s so hard whenever one of my friends announces that they are pregnant. I want to be happy for them, but I can’t help but feel resentful that it’s not my turn.”
“I feel broken.”
“I’m at a crossroads in my fertility journey and I have to make this very important decision, but I feel frozen. Can’t someone just tell me what to do?”
“What if I can’t have a baby?"
“What is wrong with me?”
After the depth, introspection and hibernation of Winter, Spring is always a welcome sight. Here in Vancouver, we just had a late season snowfall that blanketed the entire city in a flurry that made me want to stay snuggled up in bed for just a bit longer. This week, however, we’ve had moments of blue sky peeking through the clouds. After living in California my entire life, moving to Vancouver has given me a fresh perspective on Springtime and how it influences and manifests in all of us. There are actually seasons here! I go for daily walks in my neighborhood with my pup and it is impossible to ignore the seeds that are germinating, the buds on trees that are bound tight with potential energy. The air seems to vibrate with a spirit that feels barely contained. WIthin us, if we have given ourselves the chance to rest in the winter, spring brings forth a fresh sense of renewal and energy. Creative energy bursts forth like so many brightly colored wildflowers.
Despite the fact that I am a self-professed tomboy who grew up skateboarding and tumbling down streets on BMX bikes with my brother and all the neighborhood boys, I am embarrassed to confess that before this weekend, I had never lit a fire all by myself. I had always had a man around who could do it for me. If you had asked me, I could tell you conceptually what a fire needs -- Kindling, check. Rolled up newspapers, check. Matches, check. This weekend I decided that since I consider myself to be a Five Element Acupuncturist, it was high time that I should build a fire and see what I could learn from it.
Imagine that we’re watching a movie together and on the screen is a really lovely scene. A wholesome family is in their mini-van. 4-year-old Suzy is in her carseat, kicking her legs and humming to herself, gazing out the window. Her little brother, Carson is crashed out in his car seat. Mum is driving, hands at 10 and 2; Dad is rummaging through a backpack looking for snacks for Suzy. They are on a two-lane highway lined with trees on either side headed to Grandma’s house. The radio flips to “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”, which is one of Suzy’s favorite songs. Mum is a woman who smiles easily and she does so now. Her long fingers reach over and she turns the volume of the radio up so Suzy can hear. Suzy squeals happily and starts to sing along “Picture yourself on a boat on a river. With tangelo trees and MAMA-lade skies” She hasn’t quite figured out how to pronounce “tangerine” or “marmalade” yet and she had a tangelo last week so that seems to make sense to her this week. Mum and Dad also chime in. “Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly. A girl with kaleidoscope eeeeeyes.” Carson stirs in his carseat but doesn’t wake. The camera pans out, we can still hear the family singing in the background. Our eyes follow the minivan as the view of the camera widens and floats above the family in the car. There is a curve in the road ahead and we see that a truck has rounded the corner, headed towards the minivan.
There will be events that enter your life and rearrange your molecules. And the natural reaction from most people under such pressure is to react or build a wall. It is so much easier to deflect pain and to place blame on other people or events. It feels safer to lock your emotions into a teeny tiny box and bury it under the illusion of happiness. Because under the surface, there is no telling what you’ll encounter. Frustration or anger about having to struggle when it seems to come so easily to so many. Grief if there have been losses along the way. Oh and let’s not forget about fear. Fear of abandonment, of rejection, of whatever emotional boogie monster your mind wants to create. The irony is that the moments in which you want to shut down your emotions, to put up a wall, are actually the richest moments in which to embrace the pain of what you are feeling. This is your time to lean into your sharp edge and evolve.
Though the world may feel slow, don’t forget that there is still movement and life there beneath the surface. The seeds that lay in the deep recesses of the earth may be dormant, but they are beginning the metamorphic process of manifesting their destiny. You may also be called to examine the innermost depths of your own destiny. You may be called to befriend the hidden aspects of yourself.